According to a Los Angeles Times in a story published yesterday, Twitter CEO Dick Costolo gave us a bit of a "State of Twitter" this week. I found 14 nuggets of information about the fast-growing social network, all of which are going to change (read: grow) as time passes, so they're most relevant right now. Here are some of the best facts and insights about Twitter that Costolo shared this week:
- Twitter has 140 million active users.
- 400 million tweets are sent a day. It takes 2 ½ days to send 1 billion tweets.
- 25% to 30% of active users are in the U.S.
- U.K. and Japan are Twitter’s No. 2 and No. 3 countries, respectively.
- Saudi Arabia is the fastest-growing country with 3,000% growth last month.
- Half of active users log in every day.
- More than half of users are primarily accessing the service on their mobile devices.
- Twitter is seeing even higher rates of mobile usage in the U.K. and Japan than the U.S.
- Mobile users are more active than desktop users.
- Twitter is on track to generate $1 billion in revenue in 2014.
- Twitter has raised about $1.1 billion.
- Twitter is valued at $8.4 billion.
- In a "Promoted Tweets" advertising campaign for Porsche, 80% of the people who saw the promoted tweet clicked on it.
- Twitter is predicted to finish 2012 with tens of thousands of advertisers.
Follow @SMCSTL on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter: @ErinE
Follow Twitter CEO Dick Costolo on Twitter: @DickC